Monday 31 May 2010

M.Y.O - make your own
















I take my hat off to anyone who is competent with a sewing machine, its not my forte
(its just as well I have a good crew of soft furnishing and upholstery guys around me!)

I thought however I would challenge myself this year to at least have a better knowledge of some of the key making techniques. This year I have been on the most amazing week long handmade curtain and blind course www.classicalgenesis.com. I was taught by the Yoda of the Curtain Making World!- I know feel like a Jedi Curtain-Making Knight.

My search for enlightenment has been made easier by the opening in my home town (Bath) off "The Makery" (www.themakeryonline.co.uk) which holds workshops on anything from cushion making to making your own knickers. The classes are small and lots of fun. It's so hip and happening that Elle Deco are running a feature on it. I have joined their furniture painting class and cushion making. My last challenge is to learn the secrets of upholstery with them when I get back from my hols in July.

I am not sure I will ever be good enough to making anything half decent. But it has given me lots of inspiration and confidence in seeing the potential of junk shop finds and I can now spot a well made curtain from 20 paces!

lisa@id-homes.co.uk
www.id-homes.co.uk

No comments: